Food And Arthritis

Add the RIGHT foods to your diet to REDUCE arthritic pain and inflammation.
Include the WRONG foods to your diet and INCREASE arthritic pain and inflammation.
My choice? A life-journey based on a low-oil whole-food plant based diet.
Whatever your current state of health, make yourself healthier - you deserve it. Start your plant based diet journey today.

Saturday 25 June 2016

To London and back, with overnight stay

A year ago I would have thought nothing about catching a train to travel the forty miles or so into central London and stay overnight whilst my wife is at a conference. Today this is a challenge that takes more planning than just checking tickets and cash are sorted.

My planning started about three days ago ensuring I was not eating anything that was going to cause a flare.  Flares from complex foods can take three or even four days to clear my system,  and after that I have to allow time for my strength and emotional stamina to build.

The first morning I am as right as much as I can hope for and I even walking tolerably well. I was up early this morning having a lovely of porridge with a banana.  Check emails, pack a case, pack my meds and have another sleep (blame a bad night of Brexit-itis!)
A quick detour to the doctors for a monthly blood test and then back to pick up the overnight bag and double check everything and I am off.

Buying food for my diet is not cheap, but then think of all the money I save on chocolates, crisps, soft drinks, alcohol etc.  So at Oxford station I treat myself to a miso soup, a tub of berries and another of nuts. These are not cheap but they have fabulous nutritional value.

London is a warm place and my light summer jacket isn't needed!  With a bit of sunshine I followed Google maps on my phone and so walked a fair part of the journey.  The last time I was in London we travelled everywhere in taxis.  So I'm just a bit pleased with myself.

The first night we ate with friends at TAS in Bloomsbury.  I had emailed this Turkish restaurant with my dietary needs and the they were very kind and helpful and really helped me find a meal that suited me.

On the second day we had breakfast at Pret A Manger.  I had chosen an oatmeal and berry dish but once we sat down to eat I tasted a mouthful that was sooo creamy.  Oops.  I had chosen something with yoghurt.  Since yoghurt will cause flares and pain my wife kindly swapped and I happily ended up with a some fresh fruit.

For an evening meal we found ourselves in a Covent Garden restaurant called Le Pain Quotidien, which served a range of gluten free and vegan foods.  Sadly by the time I came to puddings they were all out of anything I could eat.  However as you can see from the photo I quaffed my second gluten-free beer since starting the diet, from which, amazingly, had no unwanted side-effects.  Result!

Oh, and despite all the walking my wrists had no inflammation in them at all during the second day.  How many months has it been since I had that experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment